Manhattan Beach knows how to have a good time. The beaches are beautiful and the waves are some of the best around. And come December, a tradition going back 28 years is the annual Christmas Fireworks Show at the Manhattan Beach Pier. This is always a highlight of the year with a festive beach-style Christmas celebration with events for the kids leading up to the fireworks (see below) with the main event kicking off around 7 pm. I’ve included the schedule of events and some ideas for getting the most out of the show. Enjoy!
December Sunset at the Iconic Manhattan Beach Pier
Schedule of Events (rain or shine)
- 2:00 Streets Close
- 4:00 Hyperion Outfall wishes you a “Dixieland Christmas”
- 4:00 ’till 6:30 Snow Park and Sled Hill – bring a new, unwrapped toy or cash donation to benefit the YMCA Adventure Guides Toy Drive
- 4:00 Santa Float
- 5:00 Award-winning Mira Costa Jazz Ensemble
- 6:00 Joe’s Band – Holiday Music Family Singalong
- 7:00 28th Annual Manhattan Beach Holiday Fireworks Show sponsored by Skechers and Belkin
Hot Tips – Parking and traffic near the pier is often a nightmare, so unless you can get down there early and don’t mind staying well after the event, you’re better off finding an alternative plan. In my experience the hot tip on getting the most enjoyment out of the evening is to pick a point 1/2 mile north or south of the pier to find parking. Even better, ride your bike or walk down to the pier and get as close to the action as you can. Many years I’ve watched it from the Strand in Hermosa near First Street or north of the Pier around Marine Ave. Another great option if the weather isn’t too cool is to pack a warm jacket, beach chairs, and a picnic blanket and head down to the sand with a picnic dinner and enjoy it from the sand.